In early 2020, Great River Rescue acquired Pet Fixers, a low-cost spay/neuter clinic for qualified low-income pet owners and caretakers. From April through November, we hold once-monthly spay/neuter clinics that include preventative care treatments. The program relies on volunteer service and partner veterinarians working for a reduced rate to be successful. Each month, approximately 60 – 80 animals are altered.
Thank you Sponsors
Sponsors are very important to our program. They allow us to continue to provide low-cost services through their support. Please give your support to these sponsors whenever possible.
Current Clinic Schedule2021 Clinic Schedule is listed below. Registration for each clinic will open up about one month prior to the scheduled date.
Are you eligible for Pet Fixers Services?
- Disability income
- Food support
- General assistance
- Heating assistance
- Medical Assistance
- MN Care
- Section 8 housing
- Temporary assistance for needy families
- VA Disability
- Family size of 1 – ($31,900 – yearly OR $2,658 – monthly)
- Family size of 2 – ($43,100 – yearly OR $3,592 – monthly)
- Family size of 3 – ($54,300 – yearly OR $4,525 – monthly)
- Family size of 4 – ($65,500 – yearly OR $5,458 – monthly)
- Family size of 5 – ($76,700 – yearly OR $6,392 – monthly)
- Family size of 6 – ($87,900 – yearly OR $7,325 – monthly)
- Family size of 7 – ($99,100 – yearly OR $8,258 – monthly)
- Family size of 8 – ($110,300 – yearly OR $9,192 – monthly)
- Add for additional household members – ($11,200 – yearly OR $933 – monthly)
You must complete a registration form and pay a $20 non-refundable deposit for each animal you would like to get spayed/neutered. If you are not able to complete the form online, you can call us at 218-760-1307 and we can help you get registered. If you plan on registering 4 or more pets, please contact us ahead of time. We may need to split up your animals into separate clinics. We will confirm your registration once a deposit is received based on availability at the requested clinic.
Pet Fixers General Guidelines:
- Kittens must be at least 16 weeks old and weigh at least four pounds at the time of the clinic.
- Puppies must be at least 16 weeks old at the time of the clinic.
- Animals must be healthy and hydrated on the day of surgery.
- Animals must be safe to be handled by Great River Rescue staff and volunteers.
- If you suspect or know your animal is pregnant, we will not be able to spay it but will work with you on other options (like re-homing). Please contact us so we can help.
- There are no income restrictions on caretakers of feral cats and barn cat owners, but you will have to pay for the services for each cat. Cats will be ear-tipped.
- Registration is done online. If you do not have internet access, contact us by phone and we can help you get registered.
- Everyone must pay a $20 non-refundable deposit for each animal being registered. Your spot at the clinic will not be confirmed until your deposit is paid.
- If you do not show up for your appointment for any reason, your deposit will be converted to a donation for the program.
- Mark all the services you would like to receive. However, additional services can be added at drop-off.
Before Your Appointment
- Do not feed your adult pet after midnight the night before the surgery.
- Your pet may have water until the time of surgery.
- Check-in for dogs is between 7 and 8 am. Check-in for cats is between 8 and 9 am. You may not be admitted if you arrive after 9 am.
- Please walk your dog prior to check-in so they can go potty before being kenneled.
- Cash or credit/debit will be accepted for payment – no checks.
- Please bring proof of income qualification and a photo ID.
- Cats must arrive in a kennel or crate. Dogs must be on a leash.
When You Arrive
- You may have to wait. We schedule between 30 and 40 animal surgeries per day and it can take some time to get everyone checked-in.
- When dropping off your pet, be sure to inform the attendant of any behavioral issues or other noteworthy items we should know about.
- Ask if you would like any additional services for your pet, such as a microchip, blood tests, rabies, or distemper vaccinations.
- A volunteer will call you when your pet is ready to be picked up. Please be sure that someone is available to answer the phone all day.
- It is very important that pets are picked up on time. If you do not come on time, the pet will be kenneled at Great River Rescue and you’ll be charged an extra $25.
- When you pick up your pet you will receive at home care instructions and medications.
- Obese animals may cost more, no additional charge for dogs or cats in heat.
- If parasites or infections are identified, your pet will be treated.
- If a male is cryptorchid (un-descended testes) additional fees will apply and will be discussed at pick-up.
After Your Visit
- You will be given a post-surgical care sheet. Be sure to review it carefully and observe the instructions given.
- Limit your pets activity for the next 7-10 days – No running, jumping or bathing.
- Follow instructions given on your pet’s medication.
- Dogs must wear an E-collar for 7-10 days after surgery to prevent licking and chewing at the incision site.
What will your final cost be?
People who were scheduled for a prior clinic and cancelled or did not show up must re-apply.
Core vaccinations are only administered at time of surgery; NO EXCEPTIONS.Obese animals may cost more. No additional charge for dogs or cats in heat. Additional charges will be applied for hernia repair or to neuter an animal with un-descended testicles.
Pet Fixers Price List 2021
Extra Charges (if required)
What is covered by these services?
- Rabies – 3 year vaccine
- Canine Distemper Combo – Canine Distemper Adenovirus Type II-Parainfluenza-Parvovirus Vaccine
- De-Wormer – Pyrantel; treats pinworm, roundworm, hookworm
- Feline Distemper Combo – Feline Rhinotracheitis-Calci-Panleukopenia-Vaccine
- Flea/Tick – Senergy; kills adult fleas, prevents flea eggs from hatching for one full month, prevents and controls flea infestations, prevents heartworm disease caused by Dirofilaria immitis, treatment and control of roundworm and intestinal hookworm infections, and treatment and control of ear mites
- FIV/FeLV – tests for FIV and Feline Leukemia in cats
- 4DX – tests for Heartworm, Anaplasma Phagocytophilum, Platys, Borrelia Burgdorferi- Ehrlichia Canis, and Ewingii (Lyme Disease) in dogs
- Praziquantel – Praziquantel injection Cestocide; used in dogs and cats for removal of tapeworms
Use the link below to register for a Pet Fixers Clinic. You may select a day among those with availability. You must pay a $20 non-refundable deposit for each animal you register. That $20 fee will be counted toward your total clinic fees. Space at the clinics is limited. You will receive a confirmation email from our system Clinic HQ. You will also receive a consent form for each pet you will be bringing. Please sign and submit your consents as soon as you receive them. Please review all of our COVID-19 Procedures prior to registering | Click Here
Register | Click Here