Schedule a tour or presentation for your group
At Great River Rescue we want to help educate the public about the work we do and the importance of proper pet care, and being safe around animals. If your group is interested in taking a tour of our facility, or having a presentation given, we can help! All you need to do is contact us at 751-7910 and we can set something up. Tours can be scheduled with Brandon at a time that is convenient for you. We do ask that you give us as much advanced notice as possible to arrange the best possible time for everyone.
If you do schedule a tour or presentation, we ask that your group conduct a project to support our work. This is a great chance to teach children the importance of giving back to community causes. Here are a few project ideas that would really help the animals:
- Take time to conduct a cleaning project at the shelter.
- Bake dog or cat treats or make toys out of old shirts and towels to donate.
- Hold a supply drive for needed items like cat litter, bleach, or laundry detergent.
- Raise funds for your group with a portion being donated to Great River Rescue.
- Build dog houses or cat climbing structures to be donated or raffled off.
Again, just call us at 751-7910 to set something up. Thanks!
Community Outreach Events
Great River Rescue is often invited to attend events hosted by other community organizations and businesses. We are happy to attend these events with some shelter pets to further our outreach and connect with community members. At the same time, it takes time and resources for us to attend these events. Sometimes, we don’t have time, or animals appropriate for such an event. To help other organizations determine whether or not they should invite us we’ve created a list of expectations we have for your event.
- Please give us at least one month’s notice prior to your event. We may or may not be able to commit to attending your event depending on our schedule.
- Know that our commitment to attend may be dependent on our ability to find volunteers. If we can’t find enough volunteer help, we will let you know within a few days prior to the event. You are welcome to provide extra helpers for us if you can.
- We will bring our donation jar – please help promote our cause and encourage your guests to donate.
- We always strive to bring friendly and safe animals to events. You may need to check with your insurance carrier to ensure that it is acceptable to have animals present.
- The animals we bring are not immediately available for adoption. Those interested in adoption need to either apply online or at our shelter and visit the animal at the shelter.
Thank you for your understanding of these expectations for outreach events. We look forward to partnering with you on your upcoming event!
To schedule an event with us, please contact Brandon at 218-751-7910
Ways you can Help Great River Rescue:
- Share Your Love – Tell others about the work of Great River Rescue. Let them know how important it is to support our organization. Make a presentation at your school or community group about the importance of proper pet care. Ask us to help you with this project.
- Make Adoption Posters – Take pictures of the animals or download their photos and create posters about them. Post them up at your school or work.
- “Like” us on Facebook – Like us and share our posts with your friends. Encourage others to “Like” us on Facebook.
- “Follow” us on Twitter – Follow us on Twitter and comment on our posts.
- Get Crafty – Make your own dog and cat toys or blankets at home. Braiding simple rags and towels together is a great way to make a chew toy for dogs. Do an online search to find more great craft ideas for pets.
- Do Some Baking – Bake your own cat and dog treats to donate to the shelter. There are plenty of great recipes out there for which you only need a few ingredients!
- Fundraising – Organize your own fundraiser for the shelter. Sell lemonade or baked goods, or hold a penny drive at your school. There are lots of ways you can raise money for the pets.
- Hold a Supply Drive – Ask us what supplies we most need and then organize a supply drive with your friends and neighbors. You could even hold a party and invite your friends to bring pet supplies as a gift.
- Donate Household Items – Do you have any extra pet supplies, office supplies, towels or blankets that you don’t need? Donate them to the Humane Society.
- Be a Clean Freak – If you are too young to work directly with the animals, you can still help clean around the shelter.
- Get Creative! – Do you have any good ideas about ways to promote adoptions? Anything you can do to help us get these pets adopted is appreciated.