Dog Obedience Training with Great River Rescue
We are very pleased and excited to offer basic dog obedience training sessions to the public. One of our goals at GRR is to educate the public about responsible animal care. We believe that teaching people how to properly handle and train their dogs is an important aspect of that education. Individual training sessions are led by our Kennel Coordinator, Kylie Hudzik, who has completed the Dog Trainer Foundations course through the Karen Pryor Academy. Not only do we want to provide you with the knowledge and skills needed to successfully handle your dog, but we want to keep dogs in homes and out of the shelter system. Many of the dogs that are surrendered to Great River Rescue have never had any proper training. This leads to significant behavior issues that are hard to overcome which then makes it harder to find them a new home.
Individual Training Sessions
Once registered, Kylie will connect with you to determine your training needs and make a training plan with you. Sessions may cover basic dog obedience topics including leash training, basic commands, kennel training, meeting new people, anxiety, and more. Please note that these sessions are intended to cover basic dog and puppy training needs and not for more severe behavior problems.
Cost: $25 per hour – Space is limited. Once full we will begin a waiting list for upcoming training sessions. Fee must be paid prior to the start of any training session.
Requirements: Dogs must be current on core vaccines including Rabies, Distemper, Parvo, and Parainfluenza. Preferably, dogs will be spayed/neutered by the trainer will determine if it is appropriate or not for the dog to attend if not spayed/neutered. Dogs must be on a leash when entering or leaving the facility. Handlers must be at least 13 years of age and be able to be fully in control of the dog at all times. An adult must be present with any handler under 16 years of age.
Special Rules During COVID-19 Crisis
- Clients must pay for their training sessions online or over the phone.
- On the day of training, a GRR staff will contact the client to go over health screening questions. We ask that clients have experienced any symptoms of COVID-19 or been around someone with symptoms please reschedule their training for at least two weeks later.
- GRR staff will be donning a face mask and gloves for the training session. Clients are asked to wear a face mask and must sanitize their hands upon entering the building.
- A minimum of 6 feet of social distance must always be maintained during the session.
- Sessions will be limited to one hour. If the client wishes to receive further training, another session can be scheduled.
- All commonly touched surfaces will be sanitized after the session.
Questions about the course can be directed to Kylie at email@example.com